Saturday, December 29, 2012

Fiscal Cliff

Fiscal Cliff




I wonder where the mothers of our so-called national leaders are. It is time for the children we call Congress to be taken to the woodshed.

Oh. Sorry. I forgot that some do not believe in corporal punishment. That is a debate for another day.

How about they forgo some pay and benefits? Like the medical care that is the envy of working stiffs. That might get their attention.

That attention that should have started the day after the election. And the whole thing should have been worked out weeks ago, not with hours to go.

Congress knew that the Bush-era tax cuts would expire at the close of 2012. They also knew that across-the-board spending cuts were going to kick in as well. Hey, they are the ones who voted in this “cliff” so they would get moving.

Did they? No.

I am sick and tired of Congress and the President “punting” problems to later dates. We elected them to fix the problems that come up. If a plumber does not fix my drippy sink, I fire him or her. I do not pay unless the work is done. And I will complain if the work breaks down shortly after she or he left.

I am complaining now. It is time to stop the “He hit first/She pulled my hair” that the toddlers in Congress are yelling.

It is time for us, the electorate, to step in.

Here comes Mom.



No comments: